Published January 2017
8 June – Police in Papua New Guinea fired gunshots Wednesday to quell a student protest demanding the prime minister’s resignation, the government said. The country’s police commissioner said nearly two dozen people were injured, but denied reports that as many as four people were killed.
Students in the South Pacific nation have been demanding for weeks that Prime Minister Peter O’Neill resign because of alleged corruption and mismanagement.
Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said she had been advised by the Australian embassy that police shot students in Port Moresby, the capital, as hundreds prepared to march from the University of Papua New Guinea to Parliament.
“I know that students have been shot, but we’re still trying to determine whether there have been deaths and how many have been injured,” Bishop told reporters. “We call on all sides to be calm and to de-escalate the tension and certainly call on all sides to respect the peaceful and lawful right to protest.”
Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported that a Papua New Guinea lawmaker told Parliament that four students had been killed and seven wounded.
The wall displays the names of dozens of New South Wales police officers who lost their lives on the job, and is the site of the state’s annual National Police Remembrance Day service in September.
On Friday the NSW Police Wall of Remembrance was marked with scratches and abusive messages.
About 11.15pm, officers found the wall had been desecrated further, with black graffiti on the panels and the ground in front of the memorial.
Police believe both incidents are linked.
Earlier in the evening, the 30-year-old man believed to be responsible was arrested near the pedestrian overpass at The Domain following information from the public.
Police said the man resisted arrest and smashed the rear window of a police car as he was being taken to Day Street Police Station.
He was then taken to St Vincent’s Hospital to be treated for a possible medical condition about 11:00pm.
Officers said they expected to charge the man over both incidents once the 30-year-old was released from hospital.
On Saturday, police said the panels would need to be deconstructed and be professionally cleaned.
21 May – A ‘sacred’ memorial honouring NSW police who died on the job may have to be removed after a senseless and insulting desecration, police say.
NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione has made a personal plea seeking justice over the vandalism of the Wall of Remembrance in Sydney’s Domain after it was scratched with glass or a rock by a man on Friday night.
‘There is no more important or sacred place in the country to the NSW Police Force, than this memorial,’ he said on Saturday, joining police and community members in expressing their disgust.
‘The person who has done this knows who they are. I am appalled and saddened that the names of our state’s heroes have been desecrated,’ Commissioner Scipione said.
Earlier, Sydney City Local Area Commander David Donohue said the memorial would likely need to be deconstructed and professionally polished, and that police were considering installing security cameras at the site to protect it in future.
They’ve already released CCTV footage of the man they believe was involved, and have collected fingerprint evidence.
Footage shows a man who ‘walked with a distinctive swagger’ who was also seen falling off his skateboard into oncoming traffic the same afternoon, Supt Donohue said.
‘It’s only a matter of time until we apprehend this person,’ he said.
‘This is a senseless act and an insult to all serving police officers in the state of NSW.’
The man faces a malignant damage charge and up to 15 years in jail.